Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Teaching Pwoermds

Jonathan Jones sent me a note today telling me about his teaching of pwoermds in the classroom, a proper celebration of InterNaPwoWriMo I'd say:

Just done [with] an introductory class on pwoermds for the incoming 8th Grade. It was interesting to see the kids who declared they were confirmed 'non readers' at the start enjoying this kind of writing/reading.

Mostly they were yours - but I slipped in some of mine.

They particularly liked my:

r(((((((bs

and your:

fjshjng

pw(o'er)md

2 comments:

Henriikka said...

This is very exiting. I´m writing an article for finnish teachers about new poetry and how to teach it at school (which is by the way the reason why I still havent finnish the translation of your essay - or asked the questions I am going to ask), and I just wrote (about five minutes ago), that pwoermds or one-word-poems could offer some kind of positive readig experiences for those kids /youngsters who have problems with reading, or who don´t enjoy readign long text. And then accidentally I come here and read this as some kind of affirmation. Tänk juu! as we say in finnish

Geofhuth said...

Henriikka,

So glad to hear this. "Tänk juu" is great. I've got to love the Finns.

I'm ready for your questions. Tell me if there's still time to send illustrations. I read something you'd written and thought I was out of time!

Geof